I had actually heard of this game before, in the form of pointing out animation issues in the product, but it wasn't this issue and so I was curious what this entailed.
After watching the video, I realized that I had seen and taken issue of some of these things before, particularly the female sexualization issue. Be it pose or clothing, this is a blaring problem for most character. The example provided with the black widow character is something I can agree with, because her sexual appeal is actually an aspect of her overall character, and thus has a reason to have a pose as addressed in the video. However with Tracer, as soon as the video started, I got a sense of what her character was, and it wasn't sexualized in the slightest. So to have a pose drawing attention to her butt serves as nothing but eye candy goes strongly against who Tracer is. I do have to give a hand to Blizzard for listening and changing the pose to something more accurate to Tracer, seeing as many companies don't really care, and just pander with their female characters regardless.
Posing really does become a big part of understanding a character and their actions, as well as giving the image of motion. If we stay on the video game route, sometimes these poses are what you have to use to draw people in. Such examples include cover art or promotional art, which should draw some eyes to it and interest those who see it. With shows, action becomes important in the conveying aspect, such as emotions or events that can't be felt with just words.
So all in all, poses really do give a true insight on a character, from their personality to what they can do, poses are a powerful tool into creating strong characters.
No comments:
Post a Comment